NY07020 - International Plant Propagators Society Conference, Lilydale VIC, May 2008
On the 1st to the 4th of May the 2008 IPPS conference was held in Lilydale,Victoria. The conference theme was “opportunity in diversity” the conference featured speakers from Australia, USA, South Africa and NZ and canvassed leading edge technology and visits to local production nurseries and horticultural enterprises.
The IPPS held a successful conference, run along a similar format to previous conferences.Points of difference that contributed to a successful event were:
• The non-city location in the heart of a horticultural area.
• Insisting that all speakers and activities related to the theme of “Opportunity through Diversity”.
• Having a special focus on youth in the program.
• An organising committee prepared to put in a lot of time in planning and running the conference.
Dissemination of the proceedings will be through the Society’s own publication as well as reports in the horticultural press.
The key outcomes of this project were:
1. There was wide industry involvement. Attendees included Nursery Industry Development Officers, researchers, educators, media and plant propagators.
2. Strong youth involvement in the program through the 6 pack sponsorship, South African exchange program and Next Gen.
3. Increased awareness within young propagators of the role that IPPS can play in the sharing of knowledge.
4. Exposure of attendees to a diverse range of horticultural topics and businesses in the Yarra Valley.